IM SURE YOUVE PROBABLY ALREADY HEARD THE SAYING THAT BREAKFAST IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MEAL OF THE DAY. UNFORTUNATELY, MORNING IS THE MOST HECTIC PART OF THE DAY FOR MANY OF US: SLEEPING THROUGH ALARMS, SCRAMBLING TO GET KIDS TO SCHOOL OR FIT IN A PRE-WORK EXERCISE ROUTINE.
Many times we just end up grabbing some doughnuts or a greasy breakfast sandwich at a drive-thru on the way to work, right?
Stop! Im here to tell you that you can have low calorie breakfasts that are tasty and filling so that youre not snacking all morning long. A bonus is you can make these ahead of time (like on a Sunday) and itll last you much of the week!
So this weekend, try out one (or all) of these low calorie breakfast ideas:
POACHED EGGS WITH MUSHROOMS AND TOMATOES
- 2teaspoonswhite vinegar
- 1tablespoonplus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2medium tomatoes, each sliced into 4 rounds kosher salt and black pepper
- 1poundassorted mushrooms, sliced
- 1tablespoonfresh thyme leaves
- 8large eggs
- 4slices country bread, toasted
- 1ounceParmesan, shaved
- 2tablespoonschopped fresh chives
- Fill a large, deep skillet with 3 inches of water. Add the vinegar and bring to a bare simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tomatoes, season with teaspoon each salt and pepper, and cook until just tender, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining tablespoon oil to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, thyme, teaspoon salt, and teaspoon pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until golden brown and tender, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crack 4 of the eggs into separate custard cups. One at a time, slide each gently into the water in the deep skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes for slightly runny yolks and remove with a slotted spoon. Repeat with the remaining 4 eggs.
- Dividing evenly, top the bread with the tomatoes, mushrooms, eggs, Parmesan, and teaspoon each salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the chives.
BANANA CORN MUFFINS
- 1/2 cupmashed ripe banana (about 1 medium)
- 1/2 cup2% reduced-fat milk
- 1(8 1/2-ounce) package corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine banana, milk, and mix in a medium bowl; stir just until moist.
- Spoon batter evenly into 6 muffin cups coated with cooking spray (batter will be slightly thin).
- Bake at 350 for 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes.
HAM AND CHEESE SCONES
- 2 cupsall-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoonbaking powder
- 2 teaspoonssugar
- 1/4 teaspoonsalt
- 1/4 teaspoonground red pepper
- 3 tablespoonschilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup(3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cupfinely chopped 33%-less-sodium ham (about 3 ounces)
- 3/4 cupfat-free buttermilk
- 2large egg whites
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in cheese and ham. Combine buttermilk and egg whites, stirring with a whisk. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 to 5 times with floured hands. Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut dough into 8 wedges, cutting into but not through dough. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
DON’T FORGET TO EXERCISE!
Remember, to maintain a healthy, well-balanced lifestyle, you need to incorporate exercise into your weekly routine, in addition to healthy eating.
Also dont forget to wear yourv-beltwhile you workout!
Keep checking in on my blog to find out more tips on how to get in shape and live a healthy lifestyle!